Saturday, March 6, 2010

Richard "Bud" Nance

Jenn and I decided to share an important tribute of Bud on the day that he passed.  This blog post is written nearly three years following his passing.  We just want to share the experience that our family had on that morning...

We wan't this to be part of our family blog and for our children to know of this memory.

The letter I wrote to my wife and her family while Jenn was in FLA.
Donna, Michael, and my dear wife:

God Bless Bud and may he rest in peace.
I wish to express my sincerest and heart felt blessings to you all this morning. Although we are grieving and missing him greatly, I know you all find peace in knowing he suffers no longer in his humanly shell and his soul is in a more peaceful place.

I wish to share what I knew of Bud and the blessings resulting in his passing. I have been fortunate to know this Nance family for a considerable time and nearly 1/3rd of my wifes lifetime. Although Bud gave of the appearance of being a tough nut to crack, he extended peace to his family and those close to him in his own Bud way. Although I was truly an outsider, in short order he made me part of his clan and accepted me in his way. Over numerous trips to visit him he always went out of his way to make it fun and a trip to remember and always made an effort to make me feel welcome. He even went so far to wear shirts that we got together such as his Mammoth T or his Construction T. He had his reasons to demonstrate that I was part of his family.

I have been blessed to remember many things with a memory like an elephant. I remember;
Asking him if I could marry his daughter and his response : "if you want to..." This again was the outside shell which was simply tough to crack. I simply read it the right way and felt accepted.  Bud sharing a tear with his daughter during the wedding rehearsal. Finally, someone who could make him melt. Only Jenn...

Playing golf in my back yard with him and the boys before exchanging the wedding vows. He kicked all our butts. Seriously!

Hanging with bud in SLO town on my bachelors party and him saying :"I'm getting my second wind..." We had such a blast...

Booking a mans time at the PGA golf course. He was very proud on that day and we enjoyed it. Even if there were aligators in the ponds!

Booking time and having a blast in the Keys. He wanted to race throught the tolls... He wanted to make sure we got Lobster and lots of it. Cooking for him was always something he greatly appreciated and Mike, Randy, and me pulled of a big meal for the guy. He was thankful. He and I lobbed jokes while sitting in Fat Tuesday in 90 degree heavy heat. What the heck, we had fun...

Going to Mammoth on a road trip together. Well..., Bud may not have totally enjoyed the drive, but when we got there he was in his place and loved it. Fishing sucked but he loved the scenery and fellowship. Just don't drive him to close to the edge of the mountain roads and everything was fine...

Hanging with him watching silly movies such as Happy Gilmore probably 20 times in one weekend. Mike - you remember this I'm sure...

Seeing Bud over the last several years live his dream on the lake. He was very happy to show us around in the cart. Even if it was 90 in the shade...:)

Taking us to the dock and fishing together. He was truly the master of the dock!!!

Again, allowing us to cook for him several nights together. Mike and his beer batter. Any meal, he was thankful and complimentary.

Finally, seeing a man who appreciated life and his surroundings. Someone who appreciated what God had made in nature. His lake was a paradise for him and those around him. I know what he must have felt because when I experienced it, alone sometimes in front of the home in the lake, it was special. The sun setting and wind coming from the lake front. Thank you for sharing this Bud. I'm eternally grateful.

Other blessings that I witnessed over the past several days;

Mike - Jenn has shared with me what a great man you are. I knew this already, your father did, and your kids will always know this. There is only one way to describe you and that is "a dutiful man". I hope you really understand what I mean because I do not know many like this. Thank you for showing my wife what you are and who you are in your actions and care for your dear father. Your father delighted in you. Others around are delighted as well. Thank you Mike and I pray for peace in your heart.

Donna - You have always been a great wife and very supportive of your husband. You extended yourself and helped him enjoy his last several years. This selfless attitude is a great blessing and those around you witnessed it. We really appreciate you and your hard working spirit and I'm certain Bud was very thankful his entire life here. Thank you for being a supportive and loving wife to Bud.

Jennifer - You are you. Kind and patient and full of life. You expressed this to everyone you come in contact with. Your are a jewel in everyones eyes. I can only imagine how your father thought of you. Thank you for your selfless attitude in all you do. You are loved greatly.

Richard "Bud" Nance - Over the past several years I cannot help to notice a trait the Bud had that is so uncommon to the men and women of this day. Bud accepted his condition and this terrible disease without blame to anyone. He never sought pitty and only wished to shelter those he loved from his condition. This is an amazing heart when you come to compare him to today's actions of others where they just need attention. Not Bud. He endured his condition without saying poor me! I hope to learn this unselfish trait no matter what life throws at me. Thank you Bud for giving me a life lesson.

As I woke this morning to my wife phone call, I was stricken for a bit wanting greatly to hold her. My typical man response. The unexpected happened and her calmness comforted me as I broke down. The calmness of you all is testimony that Bud is at peace and I'm thankful for the God of hope and mercy that his soul is at rest.

When I grabbed Jenn's Bible this morning, it immediately was marked at Psalms 23. This is a fitting prayer for this day celebrating Buds life. I AM THANKFUL THAT I KNEW HIM!

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

I love you all and wish I were there with you all. Peace be with you all.

Jeff

1 comment: