Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Alabaman Clans

To our sincere delight, our distant Alabama Clans paid us Californians a visit.  And what a time it was...

My grandfather Robert Martin, Aunt Kay Hodge, and cousins Athesia Davis and Deanne Slaughter spent a recent two week vacation with us here on the central coast.  I can only imagine they were exhausted on their way home after their time here which was filled with adventures, food, family time, lots of activities and visits, wine, and tons of fellowship.

While I have found memories as a child spending occasional summer vacations in the south with our Alabama relatives, I(we) had no idea how much we had in common.  But most notable, I am so grateful that God blessed us with the time in fellowship and the discovery of love and affection that we all had for each other.  We just immediately hit it off and got along better than I could have imagined.

There was so much experience in our time together and I will post more photos.  But for now, I wish to share some of the experiences:

  • Spending time in fellowship every day with a little wine and food.
  • Sharing how God is at work in our lives.
  • Praying together at meal times and enjoying the prayers of my grandfather.  He shared to me the prayers that he covers until he falls to sleep at night.  If only I could pray like that...
  • We are a hugging family, great to hug each one of them and let them know we appreciate them and their visit.
  • Eating moms food with everyone in town, over and over again.  They probably think we eat this gourmet stuff everyday.  
  • Spending time showing them the SLO town, AG, upper coastline, Avila Beach, Hearst Castle, So Cal areas, and Reagan Library.
  • Independence Day celebration at the house and seeing them enjoy some of our friends here on the central coast.
  • Having supper in shell beach and a good one at that - Ventana does not disappoint...
  • Getting to know our cousins better.
  • Getting to know Aunt Kay better and know more about her life over the past 25 years.
  • Seeing our father enjoy his family connections and see the joy in his relationship with his Alabama relatives.
  • Seeing our family, and my own kids love on our relatives.
  • Seeing our children love on their great grandfather and experience this time.  

(This is part of the family visiting a Cal Poly Memorial - From top to bottom and left to right:  John, mom, Athesia, Seany boy, Deanne, me, Donna, Jenn, Amber, and Aunt Kay)

(The homeboys - Dad aka JD and Grandpa Martin)

While it was sad to see them depart, I was totally encouraged by the experience of being with them.  I am excited to know there is a solid bond between so many of our California and Alabama families and look forward to the fact that we will see each other again.  I know when this time comes the fellowship will be rich, meaningful, and lots of fun.

I am so grateful to God for his blessing in all of this.  I believe this experience has had a profound affect on everyone involved and hope my children are taught the importance of keeping family bonds and relationships...  Praise God.

P/s - I need more pictures visiting family!  I only have my dads so I am a bit limited.  Send me a few of your favorites so I may post them!

No comments: