Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Celebration of Life - Aunt Gwen


Gwendolyn (Haskell) Helm
December 9, 1928 - December 30, 2011

Our beloved Aunt Gwen, aunt to my mother and the last living sibling of my grandmother’s immediate family passed from this world on December 30, 2011. Aunt Gwen recently had had heart surgery in December and was thought to be recovering. But at the age of 83, the Lord saw it fit to take her home. In honor and memory of Aunt Gwen, I wish to share some brief history and words my mother shared with me about of her life with all of you and joyfully celebrate the relationship she had with all of us.

Gwendolyn Haskell was born in her childhood home in Sepulveda, CA on December 9, 1928. She was the youngest of nine children. She went to Sepulveda Elementary School and then to Van Nuys High School. Following graduation from High School, she enrolled in college at UCLA and graduated in 1951. She then became a school teacher and faithfully taught for 39 years, finally retiring in June of 1990.  Gwendolyn married on April 2, 1955 to her husband Harry Helm and they had two children, Terrill and Brett. Her husband Harry died April 6, 1981 and she did not re-marry.

It’s been a joy over the years to listen to my mom express her fondness of her Aunt in profound ways. Most recently, she shared a letter from her Aunt at Christmas updating many family and friends to the goings on in her life, gratitude for the love and encouragement from her friends, family, and especially her church family. She shared both grief and joy of the circumstances happening around her. I noticed she put very little emphasis on her own situation and health problems and dedicated most, if not all of the letter sharing the life story she was experiencing now - which was a mothers joy of loving and sharing her family life. I can still see and imagine the smile and joy on her face as she wrote this letter. The letter almost seems to state a closing chapter on this earthly life and hints that she must have been ready to move to the next. Grateful to God that she had such peace at the time she wrote the encouraging Christmas Letter – it was a truly memorable gift to my mother.

Over the past several days, I have listened to my mother process the grief and loss of Aunt Gwen. I could tell this relationship was very special to her as she described a few experiences with Aunt Gwen. Most noteworthy, my mother fondly remembers as a young teenager in the 1950’s when her Aunt Gwen and her husband took her and her sister (Donna) to Mexico for an entire month stay. She describes that Aunt Gwen wanted to show her different cultures and history and took no less than a month off to experience this together. I am grateful that she got to experience that generosity and adventure with Aunt Gwen. My mom shares with me that Aunt Gwen did reach out and share her time and journeys with many of the nieces and nephews over the years. Aunt Gwen’s most recent letter she wrote shared a recent trip to Yosemite Valley with much family in tow. She was a great Aunt to share her time and journeys with so many, and fondly talked of it. What a great Aunt indeed.

Aunt Gwen’s family is survived by her two children, Terrill and Brett, their spouses, and the many grandchildren including Clark, Garret, Antu, Preston, Shanti, Chloe, Kiran, and Nikai. She was active in their lives and I stand certain that her fingerprint will be on them all in positive ways God intended. May God bless each of them and grant them peace during this time of sadness and grief. Having knowledge that she had faith in Jesus Christ, I wish to rejoice with all those who grieve to be encouraged by the hope that Christ Jesus brought to this world, and that death has no bad outcome for His people, and that the fullness of life and the ultimate relationship with the loving and graceful God will finally happen. Her death is our loss, but very much her gain in Christ Jesus!

As I reflect and close I realize that I personally had very little direct experience with Aunt Gwen over the years. Most of my contact was through my mom and my cousins from time to time and during family get-togethers. But she always showed me kindness and care with a genuine personality that I think was her gift. She used these gifts to work 39 faithful years, care for her family, and promote women charities with her support in Red Hats and AAUW. She was active in her Santa Clarita based United Methodist Church, loved the UCLA Bruins, and simply loved her earthly life while here. Her life, among many things reminds me to finish well. You finished well Aunt Gwen, may God rest your soul and by Gods grace we will be with you…

No comments: